Onwards from Coccium…

A brief history of localities around the borough of Wigan.

The Metropolitan Borough of Wigan is a metropolitan borough of Greater Manchester, in North West England. It is named after the former county borough and includes the towns and villages of Leigh, part of Ashton-in-Makerfield, Abram, Ince-in-Makerfield, Hindley, Orrell, Standish, Atherton, Tyldesley, Golborne, Lowton, Billinge, Astley, Haigh and Aspull. The borough was formed in 1974 and is an amalgamation of several former local government districts and parishes. The borough has three civil parishes and lies directly to the west of the City of Salford and southwest of the Metropolitan Borough of Bolton. The local authority is Wigan Metropolitan Borough Council.

With thanks to Wikipedia

Norley Hall was a large private hall named after the North Lea or Legh. It is part of the community of Pemberton.

British History Online

The name Pemberton derives from Penn-bere-tūn, which is believed to be a combination of the Celtic penn meaning hill, the Old English bere meaning barley plus the Old English suffix of -ton meaning a farm or settlement.
Unmentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086, Pemberton does not appear in records until 1212, when it was documented to have been a thegnage estate, or manor, comprising “two plough-lands”, with an annual rate of 20 shillings payable by the tenant, Alan de Windle, to King John.

wikipedia

Lamberhead Green is also part of the community of Pemberton. At Lamberhead Green in 1775 was born William Atherton, a Wesleyan divine, president of the Conference in 1846. He died in 1850.
Andy Gibson
The hall was built in the 1560s for the Winstanley family of Winstanley; the Winstanley family were lords of the manor since at least 1252 and may have been responsible for building the moat on the site. The Winstanleys owned the hall until 1596, when the estate was sold to James Bankes, a London goldsmith and banker. Winstanley Hall has three storeys and has a date stone with a date of 1584, but this is not in situ so may not provide an accurate date for the construction of the house. Extra blocks were added in the 17th and 18th centuries. Further and extensive alterations were made in 1811-19 by Lewis Wyatt in a Jacobean style. He moved the entrance to the left flank of the hall and replacing the original entrance with a window. The final additions to the hall were made in 1843 when an extra wing was added. To the south, on lands belonging to the hall, is a small stone building which was used to house bears that provided entertainment for the hall’s guests. The Winstanley Family also owned the Braunstone Hall estate in Leicestershire.
The Bankes family retained ownership of the hall until the 21st century when it was sold for private development. The hall had been kept in good condition until the 1960s when the family moved out; it was last occupied in the 1980s. As the building decayed and the cost of maintaining Winstanley Hall was too much for the family, and was sold on in 2000 with 10 acres of land. It has been reported that the new owner intended to develop the hall into private flats, and that refurbishment was held up due to problems with planning permission, although it has also been reported that no application for planning permission has been submitted.
The interior is now in some disrepair. Historic England have the hall on the Heritage at Risk register listing it in 2019 as in very bad condition and in the highest category of risk of further deterioration.

wikipedia